Top 10 Statistics You Need to Know About Weibo for Influencer Marketing
Weibo is a leading social media platform in China which allow people to publicly share content, express themselves and interact with others. This channel is important for marketers who are looking to explore KOL (Key Opinion Leaders) marketing in China. For marketers looking to expand to the East, they must understand that KOL marketing in China operates on a completely different scale and that content creators are highly profitable. Weibo recently released an extensive report in Chinese about their users and we’ve compiled the most important statistics which every marketer should know if they plan to launch marketing or influencer marketing activities in China.
1. 40% of Weibo’s users are between 23-30 years old which means that their users are predominantly millennials.
2. Compared to other social media channels such as Instagram, Weibo has more male users than female users. In fact, there are 57% male users and 43% female users.
3. In the last quarter of 2018, the daily active users exceeded 2 million.
4. There are 462 million monthly active users on Weibo.
5. According to China Internet Watch, in Q3 2018, Weibo's net revenue totaled 460.2M USD in which 85%+ came from advertising.
6. The forms of posts are quite diverse in Weibo. They can range from short text posts similar to Twitter tweets, to blogs, live streams, videos and Q&As which content creators can generate income from. The daily postings of each of these categories have increased significantly in the past year. In fact, the postings of Q&A increased by 400% in 2018 compared to 2017.
7. Live streaming is extremely popular in China. It is often used by KOLs to connect with their audiences and to promote new products. 2018 witnessed a 50% increase in live stream sessions.
8. The way the audience interacts with the top 100 KOLs has differed over the past year. In 2017, the audiences used to ‘like’ their KOL’s post more often and in 2018, comments and reshares of KOL’s content increased.
9. Compared to 2017, KOLs on Weibo generated 30% more income in 2018.
10. According to Business of apps, Weibo users purchased on Weibo because the advertisements which are targeted to them match their needs.
Launching influencer marketing activities on Weibo requires a deep understanding of the Chinese social media landscape, the relationship between the KOLs and their audiences and to be well-versed in the e-commerce scene. Meticulous planning and strategizing are very much needed. Finding the correct KOL, experiencing language barriers and launching a viral campaign on Weibo can be a daunting task for a marketer to handle all on their own or within their team. At Pulse, we have a dedicated APAC team at your service. Reach out to us now to plan your next influencer marketing campaigns in Asia.
Photos by: Fortune